Brer Fox Has Come To Chicken Town

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 33yardbirds, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Sitting out under the Bull Pines having morning coffee at daybreak with my back to the swamp, got up for a refill and there he stood 30 yds away. Eye contact and away he goes like he had a fire lit under his you know what. No return visit last night but the 12 is loaded by the back door. Coops are predertor proof and the run wire is buried 18". I know it will be back.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Two weeks ago we had a red fox challenge one of my chicken tractors in broad daylight. My daughters saw her do it the first day and I saw her the second. She'd run and jump on the side of the tractor causing the birds inside to go berserk. My theory is that she was trying to cause one to panic and fly out so she could grab it. Of course they can't do that, but she was trying.

The odd thing about was that both days the yard flock were out free-ranging and she never (to my knowledge) attempted to grab one of them!

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    A.T. Hagan :

The odd thing about was that both days the yard flock were out free-ranging and she never (to my knowledge) attempted to grab one of them!

Perhaps she tried that and got her butt handed to her by some of the girls? You never know.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by