1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bresse... are they worth the investment?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by naturalroots17, Apr 3, 2017.

1. naturalroots17

naturalroots17 Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Hello!

I have looked online and have read a lot of good things about Bresse. I am a farmer, I sell at markets, I was wondering if the market is out there for Bresse chicken, primarily to the restaurant scene, I don't know if I could get a good price at a local farmer's market, but they are incredibly expensive for a small production farm, do they REALLY taste THAT good? We lean toward heritage breeds & are a pasture-based farm, so just curious as the experience of others, thank you!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    First, let me say I don't have any Bresse nor have I eaten any. For what it's worth here's my opinion. In it's homeland of France the Bresse has an exalted position in culinary circles. If you read about how the farmers care for these hens, it is very time consuming and quite meticulous.
    IMO, unless you are going to raise them the same way, you are likely to get an inferior tasting bird. Having said that, I think most Americans wouldn't be able to taste the difference anyway [​IMG].....they are too used to chicken nuggets and the poor excuse offered for table birds these days.
    Personally, I would think it's a risky venture unless you can sell to the high end restaurants...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by