Bresse Chickens Raised in USA taste?

rmasimpson

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Anson County, North Carolina
Greetings!
I have read about the Bresse and the different particular stages and ways to raise them for the optimum flavor. My question is, if I am just raising mine in the 'normal' way, will the taste be superior to other meat birds? My 'normal' is I feed mostly organic feed, mixed with organic scratch, and fresh vegetables & fruit a few times a week and meal worms for treats. My chickens are in coops with attached runs. Thank you in advance for your replies!
Little Boy Blue.jpg

Greetings!
I have read about the Bresse and the different particular stages and ways to raise them for the optimum flavor. My question is, if I am just raising mine in the 'normal' way, will the taste be superior to other meat birds? My 'normal' is I feed mostly organic feed, mixed with organic scratch, and fresh vegetables & fruit a few times a week and meal worms for treats. My chickens are in coops with attached runs. Thank you in advance for your replies!View attachment 1356337
He's a handsome devil. I'd have to put him out to stud.

I've raised Bresse for meat and eggs for a couple years now, they taste like any other home/farm raised chicken. Mine finished around 16-18 weeks the pullets start to lay around that time as well. I love Bresse good weight (4-6lb for pullets 6-8lb for cockerals)...

Greetings!
I have read about the Bresse and the different particular stages and ways to raise them for the optimum flavor. My question is, if I am just raising mine in the 'normal' way, will the taste be superior to other meat birds? My 'normal' is I feed mostly organic feed, mixed with organic scratch, and fresh vegetables & fruit a few times a week and meal worms for treats. My chickens are in coops with attached runs. Thank you in advance for your replies!View attachment 1356337
I raise a block for about 3 years with normal feed. They eat layer feed and scrap vegi, left over, etc. The meat and broth taste sweeter and more flavor than RIR, Marans, New Hampshire, Ranger, and many other dual purpose breeds.

There are at least 2 things that the French do with their Bresse that likely affects flavor and texture.

1. They feed their birds lots of dairy.

2. They caponize every rooster they butcher and call a Bresse.

These 2 factors probably affect the flavor in a major way. Capons are also known for having a fine textured meat.

I believe if one was to raise and caponize their birds like this about any breed will taste different with finer textured meat.

I just got a flock of White American Bresse from Greenfire Poultry and plan on caponizing some young roosters next spring.

I'm also going to caponize other breeds to see how much different they taste.

Back
Top Bottom