Bresse Rooster walking stiffly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bawkbawkchick1, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Bawkbawkchick1

Bawkbawkchick1 New Egg

Feb 2, 2015
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to BYC and have perused the threads in attempt to see if anyone else has come across this issue. I have a Bresse Cockerel who I call Meringue. I have raised him from 2 weeks old and he is currently 20 weeks old. He has been growing pretty fast and is the largest of my poultry by far. He is the first to the feeder, but then I would always see him go lay down not long after that, or "lounging" about the pen. I always thought he was just being a little lazy fatty, until I noticed that when he gets up and moves around, he is very stiff legged. I have never seen him injured in any way, and he, like all the others, is in a large pen/coop area in Cave Creek, AZ[​IMG] [​IMG]

. (see pic's attached). He doesn't seem to be in any real pain, but I am concerned about hip dysplasia. I don't have a pic of him to show you as yet (I will get one though, because he is beautiful), but I believe and feel pretty confident I have done everything right with my flock so far. Their feed: Non medicated chick feed, and recently converted over to the layer crumbles, chick grit, scratch mixture, meal worms, and veggies/greens scraps for treats. Any advise (other than the stew pot, lol) that I can get for this guy? Also he doesn't mind me handling him, and I feel his legs, no obvious deformities are felt. Hopefully this is enough info. Please let me know if I need to provide more info to get the correct response. Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would probably get some vitamins with minerals to put in the feed in case he has a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Keep an eye on his walking in case it gets worse. Leg bone deformities with tendon problems can be common in all poultry, and with roosters, injuries can also be a problem if roosts are high, or if he jumps up on high fences. Look his joints over for redness or swelling, as well as his footpads for dark spots or swelling of bumblefoot. A respiratory disease, mycoplasma synoviae, can cause infection of the joints, and there are other viral and bacterial forms of arthritis.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by