Brewer's Yeast and protein content in food.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jennn27, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I am feeding my ducks (about 3-4 weeks old) Dumor Chick Starter. I just today started giving them Brewer's Yeast on top of their food. The protein content in the starter feed is 20%. Is that too high? I have read you can add oats to the feed to lower the protein for ducks. Do I need to start adding oats and brewer's yeast to the food? Can I just mix up a bunch of oats and yeast in with a bin of their feed to make it more even? If so, what is a good ratio of food to oats and yeast?? [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Next time you get food, they are old enough for grower - the protein percentage is lower.

In the meantime, 5 parts starter, 1 part rolled oats (not instant, not flavored), and about a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per duckling per day - you may want to split that up so that you use one tablespoon per three ducks three times a day added to their food so they get a more even amount of the B vitamins in the brewer's yeast.

I would not premix the brewer's yeast into the food, but I would premix the oats.

3. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Sounds good. Thanks! Wish I had paid attention to the starter/grower feed before.....I just bought another bag yesterday. [​IMG] Ah well...they do seem to go through it pretty fast.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think most of us have had those times. Might add poultry vitamins once a week for a few weeks - seems to me once their outsides get mostly grown, their inner parts are still developing. Any advantage we can give them is good, I feel.

Enjoy them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by