babyshark24

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hi every body. My family is going to be getting two 2 week old ducks in a few days. We have a starter and grower feed with 18% protein and we plan to feed oats and chick grit as well as supplementing electrolytes. I am a bit confused about the yeast. I heard baby ducks need yeast because they grow so fast. My dad is a home brewer and he has this yeast called “ale yeast”. Is that suitable? He also has something else called “yeast nutrient”. Will either of those be ok? I’ve attached a picture of the ale yeast but not the yeast nutrient. Should we order something else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 13
What type of ducklings will you be getting? They need more niacin than chickens. Pekins usually need extra supplements and often end up needing liquid vitamin B complex to avoid developing splay leg and pigeon-toed issues. If you're getting pekins, I recommend you find the vitamin B complex now so you can start giving it to them right away.

No, you should get either nutritional yeast or brewers yeast, the stuff you have won't work, and there is no need to add oats to their diet.

Welcome to BYC!

What type of ducklings will you be getting? They need more niacin than chickens. Pekins usually need extra supplements and often end up needing liquid vitamin B complex to avoid developing splay leg and pigeon-toed issues. If you're getting pekins, I recommend you find the vitamin B complex now so you can start giving it to them right away.
I am not completely sure, we are getting them from tractor supply. They have a mix.

No, you should get either nutritional yeast or brewers yeast, the stuff you have won't work, and there is no need to add oats to their diet.

Welcome to BYC!
Ok thank you! I will order some tonight. I thought you should feed them oats as 25% of their diet? I may be wrong. It’s been a while since we’ve had ducks.

Of the yeast? Preferably you start them on it once you get them.
Yes, is there anything else I can supplement for yeast until then? I ordered it tonight and it’s not coming until about a week+ after the ducks come. Will they still survive?

Attachments

• D089153B-69ED-4055-A140-DB2CBBF91A0A.jpeg
    D089153B-69ED-4055-A140-DB2CBBF91A0A.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom