1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brewer's Yeast- OK for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Shadowhills Farm, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Just wondering about Brewer's Yeast and if it was good for chickens? We have a "Handi-Quacked" duck that I believe can benefit greatly from it. She lives with our 5 hens, so the Yeast would have to be mixed with feed and everyone in the pen would eat it...

Thanks

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Brewer's yeast is fine, but why do you think the duck or chickens need it? saladin

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm curious about this too. All I've ever used Brewers Yeast for is flea control on my cats and dogs. [​IMG]

4. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    If you search for my thread in the Duck section called Miss Quackers, Our "Handi-Quacked" Pekin you will see that we have a Pekin with serious leg deformities.

Brewer's Yeast would be beneficial to our Pekin. The thing is that she lives outside with our hens and eats the same feed that they do. So I was wondering if it was OK for chickens to consume the Brewer's Yeast...

5. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    I put brewers yeast in the chickens warm oatmeal. I also add it to my cats moist food and give it to my dogs!

6. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Thanks for the info:) I will have to travel to WalMart this weekend and get some [​IMG]

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I had to get mine at GNC.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've only seen it mentioned as something to avoid in dog and cat food. Although I've never seen a reason listed. Just a complete consensus on any forum or website about pet foods saying to avoid it if possible.

9. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:I buy mine at the grocery store

10. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:My healing health pet book says to use for the pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by