Brewers Yeast

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PeaceDuckies, Apr 21, 2017.

1. PeaceDuckies

PeaceDuckies Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    Indiana
    Where can I buy brewers yeast? Locally, I have a Rural King (they don't have it), a Tractor Supply, WalMart, Meijer and other smaller stores. I'd rather buy local than order online if possible. My other question is how much do I sprinkle on the food and how often? I have 8 ducklings (Pekin & Rouen) 2-3 weeks old and two adult Rouens. None of them seem to be having any trouble, but I'd like to make sure they are getting the proper nutrients. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I get mine in the vitamin section at CVS and crush the tablets to go on the food. Stores like Walmart, Walgreens or a health food store should have it.
    You can also order it on line.
    Someone has the link and will probably add it soon.

3. PeaceDuckies

PeaceDuckies Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    Indiana
    I just ordered the powder form online [​IMG]

4. macyduck

macyduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    Arkansas
    When should I give brewers yeast?

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

In their feed every time you fill it up if they are on regular chick starter, until they are 10-12 weeks old... regular chick starter does not contain enough Niacin for ducklings, they require more...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ast+animed&dpPl=1&dpID=51cmp6fslGL&ref=plSrch

1tsp per cup of feed... or give them an all flock feed like Purina Flock Raiser... it's formulated with higher Niacin to meet duckling needs and can be given from hatch to lay... :)

1 person likes this.
  6. macyduck

macyduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thank you so much!

7. Josiecast

Josiecast Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Does anyone know if this the right type of brewers yeast to give ducklings, and if so how much? [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That looks like the stuff. I have read that those who use it put a tablespoon per cup of food.

9. Josiecast

Josiecast Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    I sprinkled it into their feed, but my duck won't eat it. Is their anything else I can try to get it to eat, I'm getting worried and my local vet doesn't treat ducks!!!

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Plain Niacin tablets (not time release ones) or Vitamin B complex tablets... crush and dissolve enough to contain 100-150mg per gallon of drinking water... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by