Brewer's Yeast

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by paynesgrae, Feb 28, 2014.

1. paynesgrae

paynesgrae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Hello all, I just got two of the most adorable ducklings last night. I was wondering how vital brewer's yeast is. I have looked all over for it but so far have come up short. Ordered some online just now but it won't be here until next Thursday, 6 days from now. If I am not able to find a pet, grocery, health store, that carries it will they be okay until my order comes in? Is there something else I can give as a niacin supplement?

Worried new ducky mom...

2. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vitamin supplements are VERY important if you're feeding ducklings chick starter. You should be able to find brewers yeast at a health food store, I got mine at Whole Foods. I would get it ASAP and get them started. If you can't find the brewers yeast get plain 100-150mg niacin, crush it and add to 1 gallon of water. Do not get time released or flush free, just plain old niacin.

Not to scare you but I am dealing with a duckling with wry neck right now which is caused from a vitamin deficiency. I was feeding non-medicated chick starter. Now they're eating Mazuri Waterfowl Starter.

Good luck with your babies! Post pics, we love to see them:)

3. paynesgrae

paynesgrae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Thank you! I finally tracked some down! I just wish Tractor Supply had some. It kind of shocked me last night when they told me they didn't have any. You sell ducklings but no waterfowl starter or brewers yeast??!! He didn't even mention that I should buy non medicated starter.
    Scary because you know some people buy without researching first.

here they are :) Junebug and AfFlo

[​IMG]

4. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They are adorable! What breed are they?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What an adorable pic, should be framed. Congrats on your ducklings and on getting them started on the brewers yeast. you might enjoy this info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    I use nutritional yeast instead of brewers yeast, and it is available in almost every place that sells natural or health foods. They are not exactly the same, but both are very high in the B vitamins. I buy it in bulk and use it myself in the kitchen. My kids liked it when they were still home. We put it on popcorn, garnish soups, and all kinds of things. It's taste reminds one of cheese. When I started putting it on the ducks' feed, my cat was trying to get some through the fence, so I add it to their food as well at time. It might be easier to find if you also look for Nutritional Yeast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by