Bribing My Chicks

Dukeofhawg

Chirping
7 Years
Well, I wanted to start to build a relationship (as much as one can relate to a chick) so i bribed them with crushed Cherrios and whole gran club crackers. It worked.... Now when i put my hand in the brooder, they come running towards me.... The buff Orpingtons are about 6 days old... they run towards my hand. I started taking them out and putting them on my belly with a crushed cracker.... they are going to tame easily.... the rocks are skiddish....so is the americauna and wyanonette.... I assumed these snacks are ok in small doses... they go nuts over them. Am I doing the right thing?

Dennis

Gentleman City Chicken Farmer....

Last edited:
I would say you are doing a great thing, binding with your chicks like that. I tried to tame mine and while they were chicks they trusted me but ran from my hand every time it came around. So IF for any reason you think your chicks don't like you, don't be fooled. My chickens are now full grown and go crazy and run right to me whenever they see me. As for the food, I would make sure you give it to them only in small doses and not too often. They need to get plenty of their own food in them before they start saving room in anticipation for the treats. As for the crackers, make sure there is NO salt. Not good for them, especially little chicks. Keep up the good work and have fun!
thumbsup.gif

I've found if i slide my hand into the brooder at a 45 degree angle instead of right on top of them, they don't freak out... They cute little buggers. I thought when they got old I'd eat them... I'm thinking they are going to live a good long life unless disease or a predator gets them. Too darn cute to think about hot wings and blue cheese. LOL

LOL!! I could never picture little chickies as hot wings. Good thing I was only planning on keeping them for eggs to begin with. That's a great idea to bond with them! I'm going to have to try something like that when mine come!!

Back
Top Bottom