Brick bottomed run. Yes or no?!

clairacluck

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Hi
I'm in the uk, main concern, the ginger dog!!
Will be collecting some more ex batts in June, had chickens before, decided not to get any til I'd made them an enclosed run!
So, anyway, will be building said run out if timber & welded mesh. Am wondering whether to place this on a course of breeze blocks? Planning in having a good layer if sand inside the run, thought it would keep that in, be easy to shovel out spent sand.
I can't think of any reasons not to...

images

Welcome to BYC!

If you can lay a good bed of sand down, bricks should be fine. The bricks themselves are hard on the leg tendons and feet pads, but if you have enough sand, this will add padding and keep them off the hard surfaces.

You can also ask this question in our Coop Construction section for more input on this too....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck with this and we do welcome you to BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 Bricks should make a nice base for a run as long as you put enough sand on top for padding ... don't know how well it would stop foxes from digging in though since they could still shift bricks?

I'm guessing a brick based run wouldn't be the greatest thing for them. Chickens like to scratch and peck and find bugs/ weeds etc. - it would be difficult to do this with bricks placed close together. Sand would make it softer to walk on but, still no bugs, or greenery. Would you also be free ranging them?

Yes they'll be allowed out when I'm here but when I'm at work all day, they won't!
I wasn't going to just put the bricks down...
Concrete floor, wall 1 or 2 bricks high, wood & wire run on top of that wall.

Back
Top Bottom