1. Crazyoop

Crazyoop New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    St Helens, UK
    Is it a bad idea to build a coop out of brick? I am new to this chicken lark and i have become paranoid about Lice, flees, Red mites or any other creepy crawly that might take a fancy to my girls while their in their coop,
    Seeing that timber seems to be the favourite hiding place for all things crawly could i use bricks and mortar? Does anybody have any suggestions

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't. You're going to have to plan it out well ahead of time, since it's easier to saw through lumber than brick [​IMG] Make sure you plan in plenty of ventilation.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Brick is not only expensive to use as a structural material, but requires a good bit of know-how and experience to make SAFE walls more than about 2' tall. Also, the rough surfaces could probably harbor pests at least as well as a nice smooth *plywood* coop interior. Also also, brick has high thermal inertia and will get hot by the end of the day and stay hot well into the night, in summer, and be a very cold material in winter.

Thus I would strongly suggest you not try building a brick coop.

What is wrong with a plain old wooden coop, with a plywood interior, like everyone else has? [​IMG] They WORK. With good animal husbandry you will not have a pest problem -- and with poor animal husbandry you'll have a problem even with a coop built of any other material.

Honest, it is not a big deal. Deep breath [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:no, you would however need to clearly annunciate when speaking of your "brick chic house". [​IMG]
    really, if i had the skills i would have made mine to match the brick on our house. i love consistancy. it's a little tougher to attach things but if you plan it out you should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. WestTexasFarmboy

WestTexasFarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Wilson, Texas
    I have a Brick Chick House...see my page. I dont have my chicks tho yet!

6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] "brick chic house"

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Does ANYBODY here really count how much it costs?[​IMG]

My property has an old chicken house that has become an established tool shed. It would take FAR MORE WORK to clean it out and change it than to build what will be our All-Summer project!!![​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Brick Chick House. Priceless.

I would totally build a brick house if
    a: I could come CLOSE to affording it, and
    b: I had even an ounce of a clue how to do it

BTW, I don't think that having a brick or a stone house would reduce your chance of creepy crawlies. Good habits will go a lot further, and even then, mites happen.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My grandpa can lay bricks with the best of them, I've personally seen him brick 2 houses and a church, but he NEVER built a brick outbuilding except the well house which matched the people house.

He usually used tin for barns, sheds, and his old quail house.

Unless you have bricks just laying around from another project, I really wouldn't purchase any for a chicken house - because of the price. Wood and tin work just fine.

10. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, one good thing about a 'brick chick house' is that big bad wolves can't blow them down [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was thinking along the same lines but was considering using cement blocks, since that is what my barn is made out of. My father built it 50 yrs ago and it is still standing strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by