1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I am going to start building a brick coop very soon... Does anyone have any pictures or previous experience with building one of these?

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope,. but I sure would like to see one,. I'll be watching...[​IMG]

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Wow, a brick coop sounds like it'll be beautiful! [​IMG]

Please keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Thanks! I am really excited about the project! We have a large coop already with our layers and one tiny bantam rooster... This coop would probably be used as a "phase 2" brooder for our constantly broody hen and any chicks we let her hatch.

I'm thinking the brick has potential to keep cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter...

I'm collecting info and drawing up designs now! It has been pretty cold here in VA but hopefully I'll get started in the next week or so!

5. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    That will be interesting to see, can't wait for you to begin the process [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Note that brick is tricky to work with (if it will be structural, you NEED a below-frostline good stable foundation) and WILL NOT make things cooler in summer or warmer in winter.

What it will do is carry summer heat into the evenings making the coop cool down more slowly, ditto with winter night cold. (Unless you insulate well, of course)

Also potentially cause condensation problems, for similar reasons.

(Brick has reasonable thermal mass but is a lousy insulator.)

Pat

7. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Is it possible to use insulation between brick walls to eliminate that problem?

8. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    YOu mean, the brick is structural and both on the inside and outside of the structure but you have insulation between the two layers?

Possibly (although you would need a means of tying the two layers of wall securely together) but it would be expensive, difficult, require considerable knowledge of brick wall building, and generally IMHO be a giant waste of time if nothing else.

If you want a brick outside with insulation, just build a brick outside and insulate the inside wall, so there is plywood (or whatever you're covering the insulation with) facing the chickens.

I am serious though, building structurally-sound brick walls is NOT a simple easy thing, make sure you know what you are getting into here.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Thanks patandchickens!

My DH works with brick a lot, so he has a pretty extensive experience in this area. I, on the other hand, know nothing! I was kind of hoping to be able to build this without DH's help, since he built the last coop!

I was referring to two structural brick walls, with insulation in between. Now that I really think about it, that does sound quite complicated.

I think I'll see if DH thinks he can make it work... If not, back to the drawing board...

Thanks again though!

10. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As long as your DH has sufficient experience doing STRUCTURAL brickwork (not just brick veneer siding on houses etc) then that's fine [​IMG]

The double-wall plan is just not real appropriate for a coop though -- besides do you REALLY want brick exposed on the inside, to get all poo squirted on it and harbor mites and such? -- whereas if you really really want a brick-structure coop it is very easy to put a layer of insulation and then plywood on the inside.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by