1. mammatomany

mammatomany New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    We are building a coop from scratch. The floor is cement, and the main part is brick with one door (for us) one small door for the chickens, two windows that open and one small vent near the top of the coop. It's not to large, less than 6x6 feet. We want to do this right the first time so we don't have any redo's down the road. We will have about 12 hens, do 4 nest boxes sound like enough? Just looking for opinions on those who have done it before and what they wish they would have done differently :) BTW, we will also have a large totally secure run but that part won't be done till spring most likely.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

with *typical* coop math 6x6 (inside space) is only good for about 9 large fowl. also all concrete/rock is usually kind of cold, make sure you have plenty of bedding.

6x8 would be the right size mathematically for 12 hens, the general accepted math is 4 square feet per chicken. outdoor run minimum should be 120 square feet or 10 square feet per chicken. 4 nest boxes should work, but have plans to add another just in case. remember to put all roosts higher than the nest boxes, but below 4 feet - and not over feed and water. as far as roosts for 12 chickens (large fowl) i would allow 2 feet per chicken, or 24 feet of roost.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Why should roosts be below four feet?

4. mammatomany

mammatomany New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Would that be the same space allowance with a large run and free range time? We are planning on insulating it and adding plywood over that.

5. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Yes, 4 square feet per bird is for the coop and 10 square feet additional for run area.

6. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    My birds have less than 4 square feet per bird in the coop but they have more than 10 square feet in the run and they free range most of the daylight hours so I think they are happy birds.

7. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    What is the climate where you live? Brick sounds very, very nice......but our birds wouldn't survive the summer with brick due to the heat. It sounds as if you reside in a cooler climate given the fact that you will be adding insulation. As for the size, I would personally make it larger if they are to be in there much. If, however, you plan on letting them free range - it should be fine.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    roosts over 4 feet can cause leg problems on heavy chickens. bantams and such it doesnt matter as much.

9. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio

10. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I would love to see pictures of this!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by