Brief article on Muscovy Ducks from Off the Grid Magazine

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nice Article.. but um, holy cow.. can live up to 20years in a protected farm environment! [​IMG] That i had not heard.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. elsasmom

elsasmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    I've had 3 female Muscovy ducks for 5 years this Spring and recently learned they can live up to 20 years. I'm not sure I'll outlive them so I'm talking to people about who could take them (in case) Not as bad as owning a parrot, but food for thought.
    PS- I do love my scovy girls soooo much; they make me laugh daily with their antics

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are funny for sure, well I not only have scovies that could live longer than me but a goose who could live to be 30 or more, so I have been kinda giving our son the "well Sammy [goose] will enjoy living with you after we go on" wait till I have to tell him some of the muscovies may be joining him lol

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Totally news to me, when i researched i found the typical lifespan of 7yrs being spoken of. They still won't outlive me, so the kids are safe they don't need to prepare for ducks lol

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a drake going on 9 and 3 of my ducks are going on 8 don't even seem geriatric at all.

7. elsasmom

elsasmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    When I got my ducklings, I believe I read 7 as the average lifespan also. However, I've seen a great deal of difference in lifespan info from site to site. Oh well, they'll give me incentive to stay on my acres when I get old.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by