1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

(brief) free ranging success!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolJ, Jul 9, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I let my little flock of pullets out to free-range for the first time this evening. We've had them about 3 1/2 weeks, and I'd been nervous about letting them out with so many predators in the woods around our house. So I let them out about an hour before they were due to roost. They swarmed out of the pen at first and headed for the woods! I almost panicked, but I remained in my lawn chair and watched them. After a few minutes they came back and ended up pecking around the grass within 10 - 15 feet of where I was sitting. One even ate some watermelon out of my hand.

I was worried about our cat - but after sniffing around a few minutes, he decided they were too big for him to mess with and he left to find a chipmunk, lizard, or mouse to terrorize.

Around 7:45ish they started heading back to the ladder and up to the coop. By 8:00 they were all tucked in for the night. Instinct is a wonderful thing!

We got them at 17 weeks, and they didn't grow up with us. So I was excited that they wanted to stay near me. It was funny how the seven of them stayed together most of the time. They're a pretty close knit flock!

Some happy pullets enjoying their freedom!
    [​IMG]

It's a big world outside the coop!
    [​IMG]

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Awww so cute! I was really scared the first time I let mine out too. But they all did just fine except the one that still will not come out. She is a scardy chicken LOL

3. Kulyks

Kulyks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    Yeah, I do the same thing! I let them out about an hour before they are due to roost, and then they go back instinctively to their roost. I was scared too, since we also have a lot of predators - raccoons, foxes, hawks.

4. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    [​IMG]

Don't you just love that feeling when you know your chickens are having fun ?

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Yes - it's so nice! I LOVE having chickens pecking around the yard. It looks so farm-ish! LOL! Today they stayed near me and seemed to really have a good time.

6. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Right On![​IMG]:ya

7. Courtney134

Courtney134 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Mine head straight for the woods and KEEP GOING! I'm gonna try again in a few weeks, maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by