Brief period of high heat

Rickoxo

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
I just started incubating a new batch of duck eggs and did the dumb thing of setting it all up with too little time to make sure the temperature was stable and just under 100 before taking off for six hours. When I came back, the temperature had gotten up to 106. So, what I'm wondering is, do I have to just accept the fact I screwed up bad, get rid of this batch of eggs and start again or is that a small enough time early enough that it probably didn't do any serious damage?

To make this decision even more complicated, this batch of eggs is going to live in a classroom at my daughter's school and be a class project for taking care of them from incubation through the first three weeks. I had already warned them that not all the eggs hatch and that not all the ducklings survive, but I'd hate to stack the deck against them by me having screwed up right in the beginning.

Normally I'd just start over, it's not that big of a deal. But I had put 20 eggs in the incubator, and in order to time it well for the eggs to most likely hatch when kids are around (and to get a new set of eggs from my ducks ready for hatching), it would put back incubating time a week.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar problem and how it turned out -- Rick

I hear of people all the time having temp spikes. You might not get as such a good hatch, but don't throw them all out!
lol.png

I've been told that deformed feet result from temperature spikes. Normally these will pip but can't hatch. It you help them out, they won't be able to get around to the food/water. I've had one survive this condition, and Geisha will be a special needs hen her whole life.
31816_chicken_086.jpg

yap, don't throw them out.

they'll understand that in the *hatching world* (and almost all born) not all with make it and the strongest will have better chance to survive.

and mine even worse temp and also i *give* (not want actually) them CO2 everyday with power outages everyday.

Back
Top Bottom