Brief question about the White gene in Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Year of the Rooster, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    In general, do white silkies have dominant or recessive white? Or does it depend on the lines?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The physical appearance of white is caused by that gene being dominant. Recessive traits come into play when you breed a white to another color of silkie.

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm sorry, but I guess I was asking if silkies had dominant white or recessive white. I know there are two kinds of white in chickens, but I don't know which kind the White Silkies have. Sorry for being unclear, but thanks for attempting to answer my question [​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Anyone else? Inquiring minds need to know [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkies have recessive white. On occasions, you can rarely find one who has dominant white.

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Thanks Sonoran! That's all I needed. [​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Thanks Sonoran! That's all I needed. [​IMG]

That's what I said, just differently. [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The physical appearance of white is caused by that gene being dominant. Recessive traits come into play when you breed a white to another color of silkie.

Incorrect. Genes are not dominant to each other. Different alleles of a gene are dominant or recessive in relationship towards each other.

Bl>bl+: blue is dominant to not-blue; C+>c>c>c^re>c^a: not-white is dominant to white, which is dominant to white with red eye, which is dominant to albino; H+>h: not-silkie is dominant to silkie; Pg>pg+: pattern gene is dominant to not-pattern-gene; Fm>fm+: Fibromelanosis is dominant to not-fibromelanosis; etc.

Blue is neither dominant nor recessive to white; not-silkie is neither dominant nor recessive to frizzle; pattern gene is neither dominant nor recessive to silver.

Another way of saying "not-white is dominant to white" is that white is recessive to not-white.

With a dominant allele, it matters not if a different, more recessive allele is present--the dominant allele controls. With a recessive allele, it only controls expression when a more dominant allele is not present.

A bird whose genotype is Cc+ or Cc^re or Cc^a will have the phenotype (appearance) of C: not-white

A bird who is c+c+ or c+c^re or c+c^a will have the phenotype of c+:white.

A bird who is c^re c^re or c^re c^a will have the phenotype of c^re:white with red eyes.

A bird who is c^a c^a will have the phenotype of c^a: albino.

White turns OFF the expression (display) of other colour or pattern genes present in the bird. A bird who has PgPg BlBl Bb didi mlml ArAr and c+c+ will be white. So will one who is pgpg blbl bb didi MlMl arar & c+c+. You hae no way of knowing which particular genesets are hiding behind the white. Breed to a non-white bird and the results are unpredictible.​

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Clearly I'm not smart enough to be on here. Is there a head scratching smilie?

[​IMG]

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:No, but we need one. And dont worry, Suze (AKA the human genetic encyclopedia) can even have that effect on those of us who THOUGHT we knew what we were talking about! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by