Bright Blue/Green Poop - What is wrong? (See picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenwalker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. chickenwalker

chickenwalker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    My nine hens are about a year old and have been pretty much healthly and happy. This morning I found the following bright blue/green poop. A few minutes ago I went out to check on the girls and found that several of them are pooping the same bright blue/green poop. I've done some checking within BYC and on the Internet but I haven't found anything like this. I'm very concerned? Any ideas or suggestions? (This color is really what I have to deal with.)
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    [​IMG]I've never seen this, nor have I any information on it, but WOW, that is weird. I think I'm gunna barf... [​IMG]

3. CayleeMarie03

CayleeMarie03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maybe it is something that they ate.

4. Darkwings

Darkwings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Atascadero, CA
    Have you fed them any purple cabbage or beets? My birds always poop that color after eating those things. [​IMG]

5. chickenwalker

chickenwalker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    They did get a half of a head of red cabbage yesterday morning to peck on. There is still a bit left but they did eat most of it. That might be it.

They don't act like they are sick. They are eating, laying eggs (5 from 9 already today and the temps ranged from 11 - a high of 28 today) and doing normal chicken things. Thanks! I feel better.

6. Darkwings

Darkwings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Atascadero, CA
    Yup, there's your culprit. [​IMG]

7. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    red cabbage makes funny bright green poop. It does not hurt them and they like it

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  8. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2012
    It's definitely the cabbage. This freaked me out last summer- it's exactly the same color... almost neon in places. Too funny!

9. kitrinabryant

kitrinabryant New Egg

Jun 20, 2013
    I am having the same issue with the odd bright blue/green poop and realized, thanks to one response, that I too had given them red cabbage. So glad it is nothing but really odd to look at!

10. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    red cabbage for sure :) LOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by