bright blue green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1193, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    This morning when I went out to my chickens there were bright blue green poos in the coop, they were normal looking just the wrong color. Other than that the chickens are acting completely normal. I gave them a red cabbage last night, could that have caused it? If anyone has any info that would be great thanks!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes the cabbage might be the cause, I again have red prickly-pears and you can imagine what is the outcome of that poo, don't even think how does their faces change, whew!

4. Peplers chicks

Wish we could get a link that describes all the different poop and cause of it(sick or bad poop), I also saved that page under my chicken folder, but the info is minimal.

5. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I did a search and saw that others had a blue green poo when feeding red cabbage. It's very alarming tho! It's like a neon green... I didn't have my phone out there but I'll take a picture later when I go back out

6. aoxa

Abnormal poos

[​IMG]

Coccidiosis produces blood in faeces.

[​IMG]

The hen who produced this specimen was an older bird who became very thirsty.
    She is producing a large amount of watery urates the cause of which is unknown, but could possibly be a kidney problem.

[​IMG]

The hen who produced this specimen was about 25 weeks old. She went off her food and ate so little she became underweight. She held her tail down and was tired. She may have had worms and/or egg peritonitis.
    [​IMG]

Worms

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    picture taken by smiler43 picture taken by Lindeggs

Sulphur yellow, foamy dropping can bea sign of Blackhead (Histamonosis) which is caused by a protozoan parasite infecting the gut. It is however rare in back yard hens !

This picture was taken after 2 days treatment with flubenvet. The worms are probably Ascaridia galli, they don’t cause much harm to the birds unless they are present in large numbers. It is not unkown for them to enter the reproductive tract from the digestive tract via the vent and be found inside an egg :shock:

7. aoxa

It shows all the normal poops and the abnormal. I've posted just the abnormal above.,

8. Peplers chicks

Yes I have that page, what I am talking about is that the abnormal poop have more info, like what is the diagnoses, and treatment, etc. Thanks for the reply

9. aoxa

Which one are you most curious about?

-First is Cocci Info about cocci HERE
    -Second looks like a very ill chicken who has not been eating enough and drinking a lot. Shutting down
    -Third is kidney failure (urates get yellow) I have NEVER had a bird come out from yellow urates. They have always died in my experience. This usually happens when any bird is shutting down for many reasons. Old age, failure to thrive, infection, really high worm overload, etc.
    -Honestly the fourth looks like a regular cecel poop to me.
    -Last ones are worms.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    [​IMG]
    This is the color of the poop that's all over my run and coop... just starting this morning tho and they got the cabbage last night before bed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by