Bright green poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BerthasMom, Jun 11, 2007.

1. BerthasMom

BerthasMom New Egg

Jun 11, 2007
    Bertha is my one and only pet chicken. She lives in the house except at night. She is 6 or 7 years old and recently cut way back on her eating and is having bright green poo. She was very fond of our dog that we recently had to put down. Could she be pining?
    I'm new to the forum. Thanks for your help.
    Bertha's Mom

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    The bright green poo is a direct result of her eating so little ... I am afraid without more background info or other symptoms I could not possible take a guess at what might be the problem...

3. BerthasMom

BerthasMom New Egg

Jun 11, 2007
    Thank you. At least I know what causes the color. The only other symptom I can think of is sleeping a lot. I've been trying to get her to eat yogurt. I bought meal worms which she used to love, now she just looks at them and walks away.
    Bertha's Mom

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Poor thing! I bet she is pining (no scientific thing, just my thoughts). Birds are very smart. Our parakeet was very sad when our sun conure died. He didn't stop eating but he moped around, and then suddenly got very friendly with the guinea pig. He would get in her cage with her and visit.
    Plus since sBertha is an only chicken, your dog was probably like her flock to her. I hope she perks up soon.

5. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    If this is the case have you thought about getting her a companion like a guinea pig or such? (or even a couple of chicks?)

6. BerthasMom

BerthasMom New Egg

Jun 11, 2007
    Thank you both for your help and concern. We did try to bring in a young chicken (not a chick) and she would have none of it. That was before the dog died. Maybe she would like it now. She also seems to be starting a molt (a couple of feathers here and there). That could be why she is lethargic? Not to mention the 90 degree weather.
    Bertha's Mom

7. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    when was the last time you had her wormed? Ivomec Eprinex will take care of most worms and mites>read about it here:
    http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html
    Molt is very hard on a bird...it is advised to give a good general poultry vitamin.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  8. BerthasMom

BerthasMom New Egg

Jun 11, 2007
    Things have changed a bit but I'm still worried about Bertha. Her appetite has not picked up though she eats a little. Her poos are no longer green but they are very small. Also, at night she doesn't poop at all which she used to do. Her comb isn't as bright red as it was in the spring. She stays in the house most of the day, just sitting. But her eyes are bright and when she does walk around there seems to be nothing wrong with her. I worry about giving her medicine when I don't know what's wrong. Any thoughts?
    Bertha's Mom

9. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Poor thing! I'll have ya'll in my chicky prayers. I hope she gets better and SOON! Hopefully you will find some answers here. This is the best place to go. Keep us informed on her progress. [​IMG]

10. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    it might be a case of carcinoma in the worst case scenario... on the other hand perhaps a good solid complete poultry supplement will help...one I know of with all the recommended micro and macro nutrienten is AviaCharge 2000 (you can order online from McMurry or Strombergs and though it might on the surface appear a bit expensive , it lasts a long time...(will also come in handy as a supplement in the heat of summer is recommended because of the heat (because it is also recommended you not offer feed during the day also and the birds will also eat less)...it is also approved for organic certified.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by