1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bright green poop, wry neck and swollen face, others sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Loving My Peeps, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    The title says it all......we had to put 1 down this morning, she had bright (neon green) poops yesterday but acting normal. This morning she was hunched over in the corner and when I picked her up her right side of her face was swollen and bloody, eye was slightly bulging and her neck was completely turned 180 degrees. A very sad sight to look at. I had DH shoot her. I have multi age chickens in 1 coop. My larger birds all free range but the 10 younger (age 8-12 weeks) do not leave the coop. I had 1 hen with wheezing problems and gave her Tylan 50 injectable and she recovered nicely. Now I see lots of diarrhea but no blood. 1 chick with a watery droopy eye but again no other symptoms. Could this be fowl cholera? If so how do I treat?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Here's a link to the fowl cholera section in the Merck Vet Manual http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202600.htm. What you're describing could be fowl cholera, read through it. At any rate an antibiotic, like Tylan is the course of action I would take in your position. Also, probiotics or an active culture yogurt will help get the gut bacteria back in check and help with the diarrhea.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by