Bright green poop?

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
This evening I went to check up on some of my quarantined Cockerels that I got a while ago. There are 10 of them cozing up in the stall.

Tonight I was alarmed to see this really bright green poop?

I only feed a high protein crumble (since they are young and still growing out) and water. About two days ago I offered a bit of pro biotics.. Not sure if that would have caused anything... I don't give them any scraps, and they are on hay bedding. I've had them for a while and this is the first time I've seen this? Not exactly sure which one pooped this.

Any thoughts? They are acting fairly normal to me right now.

20191119_221037.jpg
20191119_221247.jpg

Just to wrap this post up with an update- I think I found who the culprit was, I figured it was one of my silkie roos. I found a small piece of bright green poop on his vent.
Unfortunately, whatever he had took his life recently. He began wheezing and gasping for air. I can only assume he had some kind of infection. When I noticed how he was declining, I seperated him. He soon passed overnight. :( whatever he had, I truly hope wasn't contagious. All other silkies that were housed with him appear normal currently.

Sorry for your loss. Wheezing and gasping sound like a respiratory disease, which can be from a virus, bacteria, or fungus and mold. It also may have been a heart issue, but hard to know without a necropsy. Most state vets will perform one if you take the body in after keeping it refrigerated. Chickens who are not eating may have bright green droppings, and those who have recently eaten red cabbage or blueberry may also have some.

Sorry for your loss. Wheezing and gasping sound like a respiratory disease, which can be from a virus, bacteria, or fungus and mold. It also may have been a heart issue, but hard to know without a necropsy. Most state vets will perform one if you take the body in after keeping it refrigerated. Chickens who are not eating may have bright green droppings, and those who have recently eaten red cabbage or blueberry may also have some.
Thank you very much for the insight.. When I received him, he appeared fairly healthy unless there was some underlying thing somewhere. We already disposed of the body unfortunately. Would you know the fee for doing these necroscopies?
Also, this Roo was housed away from my main flock, so I truly hope its unrelated to my RIR's gugrling

Fees vary from state to state. Some will do up to 3 birds for the same price of one. Calling and asking the state lab can be helpful. My state only charges $23 if I deliver the body to the lab. Some will send a shipping label online for overnight shipping via Fedex or UPS. Delivering it yourself and explaining that it is a backyard chicken are cheapest. Other states may charge a lot of money. Here is a good list of state vets, and it doesn’t hurt to get info ahead of time:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom