1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bright green stuff

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shanshan51, Nov 9, 2011.

1. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    So after MANY failed attempts at hatching I finally am having success. Actually its more like popcorn. [​IMG] But I noticed one of the chicks hatched yesterday had a bunch of bright green stuff on its tail and egg when it was hatching. Is that poop?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    To preserve the dignity of the chick I prefer to call it 'hatching debris'. But yes, basically it's poop.
    You usually see it clumped up in the bottom of your shells once the chicks have hatched out of them.

Congratulations on your chicks by the way! How many/what breed have you hatched?

3. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    These are barnyard mixes of barred rock, austerlop, red star, ameraucana, and wyandottes. I have hatched just another batch which were cochin x silkies. Some are starting to frizzle so we are excited.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Awwww... I love Frizzles. Get some photos up when you've got time, please. We all like to cluck over cute chick pics here...[​IMG]

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Hatching debris- I like that way better then "meconium." I wish they'd called a human baby's first poop "debris" instead of "Black, tarry stool." Blech!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Hatching debris- I like that way better then "meconium." I wish they'd called a human baby's first poop "debris" instead of "Black, tarry stool." Blech!

I like debris too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by