Bright green tomato plant - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by drewskimac, Mar 23, 2018.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    As an experiment, I sprinkled mealworm Frass (poop) onto he top of the soil around one (1) of my tomato starts, and left the other eleven (eleven) without the “fertilizer”. The other 11 all look the same, while the 1 with the mealworm Frass is bright green. I’m assuming this is due to the high nitrogen content in the mealworm Frass. My question: is it a good or bad thing? The plant I’ve circled was the mealworm Frass treated plant.

2. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    I don't know much about the nitrogen ration in Frass, we just used mealworms to feed hedgehogs.

I do know that barring any other issue with the plant, green is good.

drewskimac likes this.
  3. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    87904DE3-24EA-45CA-9E73-0194E39B1C09.jpeg

4. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    well it certainly looks better!

drewskimac likes this.
  5. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    So the bright green is a good thing in the tomato seedling? It’s my first time growing tomato seedlings and I wasn’t sure whether it was better for them to be dull & dark green or bright green.

6. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I don't really have any gardening experience, so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. :/

drewskimac likes this.
  7. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    The dark green ones are better. It looks like you might be having some burn issues with it being yellow green.

I'd either repot it with fresh soil, let it ride and see how it does or run lots of water through it.

See if you can find a nitrogen count for Frass.

Duckstail and drewskimac like this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    All the same variety? The leaves are bigger. This may be a function of the lighter coloring. It does not look as if the leaves are "burnt". If you have plenty of tomato plants and they are all the same variety, I'd let it ride. Mark that plant and see how it produces throughout the season in comparison with the rest.

9. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Yep, same variety. I will do that. Do you think I should treat it with more of the fertilizer (Frass) when I plant it ?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    That depends entirely on how well it compares to the rest of them at that time.

I give all of my seedlings an occasional dose of epsom salt. It has an immediate "greening up" affect, as well as kicking the plants into nice stocky growth. Recommended application rate is 1/2 - 1 tsp./gallon of water every 1 - 4 weeks, depending on soil conditions and plant response. You can mix your liquid fertilizer in the same gallon of water.

Athena2344 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: