1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bright light in coop, OK? Quick response please. UPDATE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WoodChic, Dec 17, 2009.

1. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Is it OK to have a very bright heat lamp on in the chicken coop at all times, or better to have neither. We do not have the option of either-or. It is about 2 degrees outside. I think they might also be molting, so that is one reason to have a lamp, but will they get sleep?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:They will probably get off the roost and not sleep much.

Can you get a red lamp? They seem to be able to sleep under a red light.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    For extended periods of time...no. Do you know what the temp is in the coop? They have high body temps and usually keep the temp fairly well. But, if it is below freezing in the coop AND your girls are molting, then the light is better than nothing. Chickens are driven by sunlight and artificial white light will keep them awake. Can you get a red heat light from Home Depot or something to keep them warm? I think it'd be fine to use the white light until you can get a red light..assuming it isn't too terribly long. Just my opinion though (based on what I have previously read). [​IMG]

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I agree with Tala - try to get a red heat lamp. It's much better for them to get some rest.

5. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Quote:It is 2 degrees outside, and I doubt it is much better in the coop. We only have 15 birds, and it is about a 8x4 coop. It is like 10:30 at night, and a ways to the chicken stores around here, so we would have to wait for a couple days. We dedided to put the lamp on for tonight, and we'll try to get a better one as soon as possible. Thank you everyone!!! [​IMG]

6. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I have a red heat lamp that comes on at 9pm off at 6am. White light comes on at 4:30 and off at 8 am.

Problem is the goofy birds won't go into the coop and sleep. Sleep on the fence top and frost on thier feathers in the morning. I am thinking about hanging a suet bar in the coop. The cracked corn and laying pellets are already in the coop. Can't figure out what the problem is.

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If you have 15 chickens in a 4 by 8 coop, I imagine that they can keep it pretty warm by themselves. Why don't you put a thermometer out there to check it out? If you HAVE to put a light out there, shield it from their eyes as much as possible, because it will keep them up and about which is not good for them. They can handle well into the single digits if acclimated.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:How many birds and how old? Could it be that it's too warm in the coop?

9. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Quote:We will try and put a thermometer out there too. [​IMG]

10. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    We have purchased a infra-red heat lamp, and it is out there on cold nights. Also, we put a thermometer out there. Thanks everybody! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by