Bright Red Bald Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by m00res, Dec 16, 2008.

1. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    This might be a silly question, but is this normal? My other hens do not have this. She seems perfectly healthy. Good energy, good weight, but she has always had this bald spot over her crop and it is almost as red as her comb. The bald spot is a little smaller than a peach. I think she is a couple of years old, but don't know for sure. Just checking... Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's always been that way, perhaps she has a bit of turken genes in her?

3. m00res

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Huh! Well I'll be... It is possible since she is a rescue and I don't know anything about her. Kewl! Thxs!

4. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    just guessing, but could it be that her crop is impacted and its bothering her so shes pecking at it and making it red? it would also explain why the feathers are gone?

5. m00res

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:That was what I was thinking too, but I am currently treating another hen for impacted crop and was concerned that I might be becoming some kind of chicken hypocondriac. [​IMG]

(I adopted my hens from kind of rough situations with inconsistent feeding - now they get pellets and freerange. Maybe the change in environment caused the impacted crops?)

Anyway, I brought her in anyway and massaged the crop. She is roosting on a chair in my bedroom. If somone had told me 6 months ago that I'd have chickens sleeping in my room...no way!

My husband REALLY thinks I've gone chicken craaaazy...he may be right. [​IMG]

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ya i know how you feel....i have one in my bedroom right now too.....you cant help it when you know that if theyre out in this weather (mine has a cold) that they could die...but truuusst me....as close as 1 year ago I said I would NEVER own a chicken and theyre nasty and dirty and smelly and LOUD (roos)....then my horses started getting ticks like crazy and i got 3 to eat the ticks...now look at me!!!!! i have 40 something and live on this website!!!! im starting to see where people are saying im crazy....because 1 yr ago...i would have taken myself to a mental institution for even thinking about owning a chicken!

edited to say not just 1 roo in the bedroom, but 18 eggs (7 of them in the bator) and 26 chicks in the basement! wooo...i gotta stop thinking about this....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  7. m00res

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:I'm not the only one?!! Hehe... kryptonite, you crack me up!

You know that would actually be a funny survey: "How many of you BYCers have a chicken in your bedroom right now?" I think the results would be astounding! [​IMG]

I love this site! Home sweet home!

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have an older hen this has happened to, I believe mine got this way from rubbing her front feathers on the roosts at night. She is fine otherwise just bald in the crop spot! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by