Bright red skin on rooster's legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LGoodrum, Jun 12, 2011.

1. LGoodrum

LGoodrum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    I have a 2-year old Buff Orphington rooster who has extremely bright red skin going up his legs and now on his body. When we got him last summer he had some redness on the legs and in between his toes (no bumblefoot). It seemed to subside on its own during the cold months, but now it is back with a vengeance. I haven't seen any parasites on him and none of the other 10 hens and 4 roosters have this problem. Any suggestions??? Thanks! Lucy

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i have a cochin like like this (bit hard to see round the feathery legs!) i'm not sure either, thought it might be scaly leg??

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think it's normal, a hormonal thing in roosters. My cochin roo has it also, and when I went looking for answers, most people says that just happens with roos in the spring. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Just noticed this on my Dominique roo today. He's 3 years old. I've never seen this before and at first though he was bleeding. Is there anything I should watch for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by