Bright Yellow Draining Poop that Reeks of Puss 🤮 My chick is dead

Mar 18, 2019
Hey everyone,

My chicks were doing great for 2-3 days after they hatched until one started sleeping too much all of a sudden. With closer inspection, I saw the Yellow Draining Poop that Reeked of Puss. I assumed it was Vent Gleet after researching chicken poop but it died only 1 hour after it got sick. It had slime coming out of its mouth as it laid their stiff and dead only 10 minutes after I left it alone! What could this be?!

They were only 2 days old which seems too young to develop most diseases. I guessed that it was filled with worms or something so I ordered anti-worm Medicine.

could this be contagious?! Should I be worried about my other chicks? Sorry, no pictures. It happened so fast. I’m still a bit depressed about the whole thing 😰

First, I need to say that some chicks just don't thrive.
Second, I feel it's important to say that chickens of all ages hide their discomfort, weaknesses and shortcomings incredibly well. A chicken that makes it known to others in the flock that they're not feeling healthy, is often mercilessly shunned (even by their mother), picked on, pecked to death, bullied, etc. This is their way.
I don't believe that you have a contagious illness, it is much more likely that the yolk never fully absorbed, becoming rancid and allowing sepsis or that the umbilical cord became infected, or that the chick had an unseen congenital defect that cut this ones life short.
I need to stress that the first week of life is tenuous at best, if the bird is not strong, healthy, inside and out, this is likely when they will die. The second most dangerous time for birds is about the five or six week point, about the time that boots hit the ground, as coccidia will take advantage of young or sick birds. The third most dangerous time for them is at the time they are approaching sexual maturity. If their reproductive organs aren't functioning properly, persistent or recurring infections set in.
I stress all of these problems because it's important that you don't feel responsible.

If your chicks are already on the ground/grass, then coccidiosis could be at play and treating their water source(s) for this parasite would be in order. Be certain to not give them B-vitamins while treating, but also be certain to supplement their B-vitamins afterwards. The medicine that 'cures' them of this parasite does so by pretending to be the coccidia's food supply... B-vitamins.
Other forms of internal parasites at this age would be highly unlikely.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

First, I need to say that some chicks just don't thrive.
Second, I feel it's important to say that chickens of all ages hide their discomfort, weaknesses and shortcomings incredibly well. A chicken that makes it known to others in the flock that they're not feeling healthy, is often mercilessly shunned (even by their mother), picked on, pecked to death, bullied, etc. This is their way.
I don't believe that you have a contagious illness, it is much more likely that the yolk never fully absorbed, becoming rancid and allowing sepsis or that the umbilical cord became infected, or that the chick had an unseen congenital defect that cut this ones life short.
I need to stress that the first week of life is tenuous at best, if the bird is not strong, healthy, inside and out, this is likely when they will die. The second most dangerous time for birds is about the five or six week point, about the time that boots hit the ground, as coccidia will take advantage of young or sick birds. The third most dangerous time for them is at the time they are approaching sexual maturity. If their reproductive organs aren't functioning properly, persistent or recurring infections set in.
I stress all of these problems because it's important that you don't feel responsible.

If your chicks are already on the ground/grass, then coccidiosis could be at play and treating their water source(s) for this parasite would be in order. Be certain to not give them B-vitamins while treating, but also be certain to supplement their B-vitamins afterwards. The medicine that 'cures' them of this parasite does so by pretending to be the coccidia's food supply... B-vitamins.
Other forms of internal parasites at this age would be highly unlikely.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Oh, thank you so much for this heartfelt answer! I feel much better now 🙂. I was so sure I’d walk in to find all of them dead all of a sudden at any moment but so far they seem very healthy. I’ve just never had a chick die like that, only had the ones that never hatched. Poor littleguy was only alive for a couple days. . . makes me see life as a very short and fragile thing 🥺, at least for poor little chicks like that

Back
Top Bottom