bright yellow fatty deposit?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fitzy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    So, I'm relatively new to processing my own chickens for food...the four I cut up this morning make 7 total that i've cut up myself. Rather than use the scald,pluck, remove guts kinda process i've decided it's easier for me to just skin them, cut off the meat and then remove the innards from the carcass in order to save the rib/back for stock.

On one of the birds i was skinning this morning i noticed a bright yellow (mustard colored) fatty deposit on one of the legs but not the other. As i'm inexperienced at this point i decided the safe thing to do was remove that leg and keep the rest of the chicken....now i'm wondering if i wasted a leg or contaminated the other 3 birds when i put the parts from this one in the same pot to brine?

Has anyone seen this before and is it normal?

2. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I'm not sure what to tell you on that. I would think it was anything that would hurt the meat from what you said but I'm not sure. Maybe a picture would help if the parts aren't long gone.

3. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I saw it on the two White Rocks I butchered this weekend. I assumed it was because they were just fat, old birds.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was only on one leg of one bird, I'd almost lean toward a healed injury??

5. seramas

seramas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    I agree with jaku, when they injury themselves (especially cuts or deep scratches) they will develop fatty deposits around the scar tissue. Sometimes if they have foreign matter in the wound and it heals it will developed (with time) calcium deposits that look like small pebbles. If you break them open you will see what caused it to happen. Many times just a grain of sand. We just cut them off. The meat is fine.

6. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    thanks for the help folks....next time i wont toss the meat in the "gut" pile....and i'll take pics of any other "wierdness"

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Correct, just cut out the bad spot.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by