brilliant chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snewman, Jul 28, 2008.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I have a question about free-ranging my chickens. I've been letting them out of the coop each morning into their fenced pen, letting them learn where they live, etc. I shut them up each night once they all go in to bed. Over the weekend I tried opening the pen to let them start really free-ranging, and they quickly ran out into the great big world. I watched them for a few minutes, and they were puttering around happily, then they spotted the horses and wanted to go back home. Unfortunately, they couldn't seem to find the opening in the fence to get back in the pen, and just kept trying to run through the fence. Are they going to figure this out, or what? Is there anything I need to do to help them, like paint a target on the gate or something :) ?

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Maybe you could frame the opening so they can see it.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    That's why I'm afraid to let mine out. They're sweet, but soooo stupid.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I doubt they'll learn. The front panels of our yard fence has small holes that the chickens can't get thru. The side fence has larger holes, that they can get thru for now, while they're still small. They wander out thru the side fence, wander into the front yard, and then spend endless amounts of time trying to get back in thru the front fence. I usually wind up feeling sorry for them and open the gate. [​IMG]

5. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    It's true, fences are enormously confusing to chickens.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My chickens are very confused by the new wire fencing around the veggie garden. It seems like they think if they put their heads though another opening, THAT one might fit.

[​IMG] dumb clucks

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    When I framed my opening, they learned it quickly. If they go in and out the same opening, they learn faster.

Anne

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They'll figure it out EVENTUALLY.... [​IMG]

9. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Maybe paint the opening frame red. My opening is red and the girls have never run into that problem yet! But they make up for their dumbness in other ways....that's for sure.

10. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Mine find the gate back into their pen very nicely if they are calm but if something scares them they might run without thinking clearly.But I really was suprised how well they all figured out how to go back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by