Bring food and water out of the coop during the day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Noirchats, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Noirchats

Noirchats Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    Hi. My neighbor told me to bring their feeder and water dispensers out into the yard during the day for easier access. my chickens havent been laying since i got them. could the fact that i take every reason for them to really go back to their coop during the day away affecting the way they are laying? is it totally necessary to put their food and water out in the yard every morning? would putting it back in there after 2 weeks confuse them? sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I'm a total newb.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The only ridiculous question is the one not asked.

Quit worrying. Some of us feed in the coop only, some outside only, some have feed and water both places. Some take it up at night or move it during the day. There is no right or wrong way. It's just the way that you do it for whatever your reasons are.

This will not affect whether they lay or not in any way.

3. Noirchats

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    thanks so much, i really appreciate it. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be patient :)

4. laughingdog52

laughingdog52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Eastern Oregon
    I have had to move food and water around to either keep the water from freezing or the food from getting blown away, but they always seem to find it! I now have water in the coop and outside. I added a heat lamp and the girls seem to love it. I see them just standing under it warming up. Laying has been pretty good.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will go in the coop to eat and drink if you leave them in the coop, I promise you. I never move mine out of the coop. Personal choice.

6. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Agreed with flockwatcher, you really need not move the food or water at all if you don't want to. Chickens are smart and they know where it is. They will always go back to it if they are hungry. Mine go in and out of the run to eat periodically while they are out during the day. The only thing outside the run is the duck pool which everyone drinks out of. It is nice to have a water station outside of the run, but I would establish one you don't need to move back and forth. Mostly they eat feed when they first get up and before bed....during the day they are mostly ranging for grass and bugs, and don't require as much food.

As to the laying...how old are they and when did you get them? What are you feeding them? There may be some factors there that affecting their laying.

7. Noirchats

Dec 7, 2012
    Central Florida
    i just got them all 2 weeks ago. Right after I wrote this I went outside to watch them and one was missing... this happens quite often. The first time it happened I could have sworn a hawk got her :( However I heard Ms. Pickles (One of my older americaunas) making a lot of noise over in the corner where theres a lot of brush stacked up. It seems that they decided to make a nest back in there. She came out, I went in to investigate and wouldn't you know, an egg! So who knows how long they have been doing that... I'm sure some form of animal has been eating the eggs. I'm just going to make sure to check back there often. :)

3 of them are right under 2 years old which I've come to understand can effect laying. the others are just about to lay. and I have 5 others who are just wee ones. I feed the big girls the layer feed, 2 handfuls of scratch a day and then kitchen scraps.

Now at least I know it's not really something I am doing wrong... they were just laying in a hidden spot! silly girls.

8. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Ah, yes the old "hide-the-egg" charade...yeah since you just brought them home to your house not that long ago they may still be getting used to things. This means several factors...sounds like your 2-year olds should all be laying, you are feeding them great. Some hens will stress molt if you move them and cease to lay. This isn't a full-on molt, but if you have been noticing a few more feathers than usual, that could be a reason. Sometimes hens will drop off in the winter due to the reduced daylight hours, so that can also be areason you see a few less eggs. Also, if they were laying at their old place in a certain spot, they will probably seek out the safest place at your home to lay in since they can't find their usual spot. Try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes at yours and see if that encourages them to lay there....laying in the yard does encourage predators so if you can put a stop to it that is best. Hens have to be at least 21-28 weeks to lay, how old are your youngest pullets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by