bring humidity up - Also MY Hatching Post - ****ROCKIN & ROLLIN :) ***

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, May 20, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I just went into lock down and I'm having trouble bringing my humidity high enough. I have my temps at 97 and my humidity won't go higher than 68%. I have 3 things of hot water and a cloth hanging out of one of the waters. Any other ideas?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

a sponge or tuna can...I wouldn't go any higher if you are hatching chicks...ducks I don't know about [​IMG]

3. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:they are ducks, and i think i need it to atleast 75%

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Look for a vent hole where you can spray in with a squirt bottle periodically. You don't want to open the lid, since every time you do, it let's some out. But squirting a bit of warm water through one of the holes is the best thing to do after lock down.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to use warm water or the tem goes up then down realy quick. I use an old butter pot full of water with a face cloth hung over the side and down onto the grid youer eggs are on. The more wet area you have the better. Good Luck, we will all be waiting. [​IMG]

6. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I use a small shot glass with water.

7. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I don;t know what kind of incubator you have but I had this problem last year here inthe south were our humidity is alway high. I have th styrofoam kind and I went to target and they have these swallow splactic quares (in the organizational stuff that you use to make boxes out of) and I put them under the wire under teh eggs turners and fill them with water daily and my humidy never gets below 75 now.

8. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I have a home made bator with 3 plastic soda bottles that i cut to fit inside. I also have a piece of cloth that i have hanging out of one of the bottles.... I will try to rearrange them and see if i can get in another 1. Right now it is 96 degrees and 71%.... I will try to get a little higher....

9. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Ok so all day the humidity has been right around 73%.... Right now i just checked and it 77%..... I remember from last time i hatched (which was my first time) that something spikes when there is a pip!!!! Was it the temp or the humidity or the temp that spikes when there is a pip???? And if its humidity would a 4% difference signify a pip or would it need to be a lot more of a spike? [​IMG]

ETA - 2 out of 8 are moving around, so even though I can't physically see any pips, looks like they are trying.... Going to be a long night [​IMG] - even longer because I know its going to be a while but will still stay up watching to see if anything happens [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    still rolling around. Every once in a while i swear i hear peeping but when i quiet the kids down, i don't hear it any more... frustrating...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by