Bring my chicken to the vet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gallina8, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Gallina8

Gallina8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    I would like to know what kind of cost I might incur if I do this. I love this little bird, but I'm also only making 11,000 a year and without health insurance myself so... what is the likelihood that the vet bill will be exorbitant (given my circumstances)?

She is currently on .1ml of a solution consisting of (1) 250mg Cipro tablet diluted in 15ml of OJ. Will this effect the tests they do? Just looking for some idea of what this trip might cost. Sigh... terrible.

For more info about my birds condition, see my thread from a few days ago: Help!! Mareck's Disease??

2. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    There is no cure for Merke's from what I have read. You can try to give her some support and see if she gets better. This is the stinky part of owning chickens. I hope she improves.

3. Gallina8

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    But I don't know if she HAS Marek's... she is better today. Laid a nice healthy egg while I was at work with no complications!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't think the vet can do anything you haven't done already.. She's getting food, medicine, vitamins. So I can't see going to the vet. Others may disagree, but I can't think of any treatment that would make her better other than what she's getting now. I think it's remarkable that she laid an egg. Maybe it's a good sign. I would also probably try some form of exercise, see if she can take a step at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2
    Vet = $$$
    Seminolewind knows Marek's disease.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Save your money, it'll cost you at least $45 just to walk in the door. The vet would then probably want to do a fecal ($20), lab work ( $100 or much more is you also do blood), maybe x-ray, who knows what else... Invest your money in a cheap, digital kitchen scale, start weighing her. If and when she starts to lose weight, invest in some tube-feeding supplies if you decide that you want to keep her alive in hopes that she'll walk again.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And actually, I think most vets would recommend euthanasia, and that would be $20 at my vet.

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm friends with three different vets, all three have said that they would rather not treat birds, nevermind chickens. Granted, I live in a very rural area where the vets see more cattle than dogs.

I think birds make vets nervous because they frequently don't have a lot of experience with them.

9. Gallina8

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for this. I was surprised by the egg, too... especially after the last one that was so laborious. As for Ex (exercise), I "walk" her around using her own body weight to try to keep her muscles from atrophy'ing while she [hopefully] recovers.

Casport, I am weighing her (as per a post you made a while back). She has only lost a fraction of an ounce. I weigh after feeding... although now that I'm writing this I think I may start to weigh both before and after.

Is it possible for her to recover *even if* she does have Marek's? I read online that the main resaon for death due to the disease is from trampling/attack from other chickens, or from a lack of food/water. Could she live happily as a horizontal chicken? /:)

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is one that really opened my eyes to Marek's. The final necropsy report says the cause of death was Marek's.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lethargic-hen-w-swollen-legs-feet-and-wattles

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by