Bring out the beagles and horses...Foxhunt!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Why and Dotte, May 16, 2010.

1. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Darn foxes, [​IMG]
    second hen within a months time. This last hen survived the last attack with only a bite on her thigh, well this morning somewhere between 10 and 11 am I'm guessing a fox or coyote snatched her left only two piles of feathers and a trail. I need a LGD, keep saying it no one is listening, my beagle does what she can but she's an old girl and is having a hard time just getting on the couch I can't expect her to be a guard dog.
    I'm keeping them penned up, things are getting difficult, my babies are in my coop/run and they all can't eat the same stuff. [​IMG] I'm gonna have to look around and see if I can find non medicated grower and just put some calcium out for my girls, it's hard to find around here though.

2. Sevenup

Sevenup Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    We're having the same problem.. We've lost 4 chickens in 1 day to some foxes.

3. greyartist

greyartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    here too. Can't have dog loose to guard though. Dogs left out tend to wonder. Wondering dogs get shoot around here. I'm looking into putting up deer netting around the perimeter as a cheap way to deter the chickens from roaming to far from the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by