bring them back from the dead!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by xxnativewolfxx, Feb 12, 2014.

1. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    i have narragensett hen sitting on some eggs for a month now but i am going to take them from her as soon as they hatch becouse she is a horrible mother!!! well the first turkey hatched the other day and when it did i took it from the mother becouse like i said she is horrible at mother hood lol but i put it in our big tub that i have set up for when our chicks from Murry mcmurry hatchery come on the 23rd but i set the little thing in there and under the lamp and then i left for about an hour and a half and when i come back to check on it it was on the other end of the brooder where there no heat and it apeared to be DEAD!! i was very upset at this point so i spent about 5 mins giving it basicly little tiny chick cpr! rubing its back but it was completely limp i mean not even breathing!!!!!!!! so i figured it was dead so i was about to dispose of it but then it hit me that i remeber a guy telling me that they will go into like a dead comma if they get to cold and if you hurry and put them back into heat they will come back to life so i hurried up and stuck it under the lamp and moved the lamp closer and left it for about 20 mins and when i came back in still nothing so i sat there for about 5 and then all of a sudden it started gasping for air!!!!!! then after about 30 mins under the lamp it opened its eyes and started peeping!! and so now its A OK! its running around and now there are three little turkey chicks in our smaller brooder that i made so this dosent happen agian!! but there are three more eggs to go they are hatching one after the other daily! they are pure bred Narragansett i think lol i have 3 Narragansett turkeys (1 tom and 2 hens) and then i have a royal palm tom and a white tom not shure what it is but they are still young almost grown but not ready to breed.

2. cockoftherock

cockoftherock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    thats wild. you should name it Lazereth lol

3. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    nah ill name I think ill name I ....walker lol !

4. cockoftherock

cockoftherock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    Or possum lol

5. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, I sooo like that name...Possum.!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by