Bringing a 2nd rooster into an established flock???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Sep 23, 2007.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    My friend has a rooster that she can't keep so she brought it over and I was going to butcher/process it for her. He is sooo beautiful though and my son just loves him! Her son, who is my son's best friend really does not want to see him go to chickie heaven. So I was wondering... Do you all think I could bring him into my already established flock. He is a large rooster who dominated over a much smaller roo in my girlfriends flock. He is about the same age as my rooster although he is a little bigger. I would have 8 hens and 2 roosters. Do you think it would be bad to have two roosters? I plan on introducing them very slowly. Right now I have the new roo in a small separate pen where they can hear each other but not see one another. What do you all think? Is it worth trying? I don't want to see my Nugget get hurt. I don't want to butcher this other beautiful rooster either unless we have absolutely no other option. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well you could try it. How big is the space your chickens are in?

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    My outdoor run is 12x14 and my coop space is 8x10 so I think I have plenty of space. Or am I wrong???

4. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    You don't have enough hens for 2 roosters. The hens would become bare backed and over 'worked'. You need 8 to 12 hens PER rooster...

I have 4 roosters but have 80 + hens that free range most of the day. And there is still some bickering amidst the guys...

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Oh - thats not what I want to hear... what am I going to do with this beautiful boy?!?!?![​IMG]

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Perhaps you can find him a home on anther farm... Put up a sign at the feed store. [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you are set on keeping the 2nd roo be prepared for the possibility that you'll have to bulid a 2nd coop & run in the event that it doesn't work out.

Alot depends on the roosters personalities, and just how far they will go to have control of the flock.

I have 3 roo's, all 1 1/2 yrs old.
    My barred rock is my original roo, and the Alpha.
    I got the other 2 from a friend, these 2 grew up together and get along pretty well and both are bigger than my barred rock.

I tried introducing them into the flock slowly, and it failed.
    The barred rock is totally dedicated to killing the other 2, and I had to seperate them permanently. One of the new boys had a ripped comb, and if I hadn't been there to help stop the bleeding, would have bled to death.

When its time for you to introduce the new roo, make sure you have plenty of time to stay in the run with them incase you have to seperate them, and had medical supplies to stop bleeding on hand. I would also blunt both roo's spurs.

It may go well and after a little scuffle everything be ok and the Alpha position decieded.
    If not, there is the risk that one may get injured, and it is possible for one or both to lose an eye, as they will bite and peck each other.

Just a little food for thought so that you can be prepared.

8. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    After talking with my husband last night we decided - well actually I decided and he reluctantly agreed - that we could build a second run and coop behind our current one. His only concern is the constant crowing. Will they eventually calm down once they have grown used to hearing one another??? Just think.. Now I can get the 10 more laying hens I want YEA!!!!!

9. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    ahhh dont worry bout the crowin!!! it makes my mornin with myt 5 roos.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Thats awesome!! I like to see the good people like you that really love animals. Happy endings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by