Bringing babies home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Oct 24, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Morning all,

I'll be going to the Ohio National in a couple weeks. The plan is to just bring home some older girls...but then I got to thinking. What if I did bring some babies home?

What would be the best way to transport them? How to keep them warm enough on the drive home? I have a converter box in my van, so I could place a cardboard box on top of a heating pad set on low. Would that be ok or not a good idea?

It's going to be a 3-4 hour drive, so I'd want them to be as comfortable and safe as possible.

Thanks.
    b

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Babies travel through the mail in small cardboard boxes with just each other for warmth. Personally I would double box them and put them near the heater vent in your car so they get warm air. I'm picturing a small box of chicks like 12 or so.

Congrats on getting some chicks soon! [​IMG]

3. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    mistylady,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I can safely bring home 12. (meaning the husband might strangle me if I bring home 6 big girls and 12 babies!) [​IMG]

Would it be better if I had them in the foot well with the heater turned to the legs...or on or around the center consul with the heat directed upwards? Or..in my 13 yo daughters lap?! [​IMG]

Love your Lady of Shallot picture. Have that one framed in our room here at home!

4. mistylady

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I would let her hold them and talk to them! But I love having chickens as pets! Mine are pests! They walk with you and sit on you when they can. The entire car should be pretty toasty. Keep any breezes off them like when you stop to get out and eat or anything. I'd put a towel over the box to keep them toasty. Babies love warmth! I would keep the heat aimed at the box instead of the chicks if you need to put them on the floor. The box should retain heat.

5. mistylady

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Oops I had to run and see what the dogs were barking at and couldn't finish the post! Sorry!

Thank you for the compliment on the avatar! I love the pic! [​IMG]

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Thats when you tell him you got "free" chicks for buying the big girls..... I have over 60 chickens and mine hasn't strangled me......YET [​IMG]

7. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    <i>Thats when you tell him you got "free" chicks for buying the big girls..... I have over 60 chickens and mine hasn't strangled me......YET</i>

He'd see right through me! I'm a terrible liar! Now if I can just find someone who actually HAS that deal!! [​IMG]

8. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I'm thinking of making sure we have some of her favorite music in the car so she can sing to them as well. [​IMG] She's in choir and enjoys to sing anyway. And I've read multiple posts here on BYC that chickens like that.

Hmmmm...wondering if they'll like The Killers or Shania Twain better? [​IMG]

b

9. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    Hmm...learning new things everyday, I didn't know chickens like music.

The only thing I would caution is having the heat vent blowing directly on them...aim at the box like others posted. That's just my opinion.

10. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:OK, this is going to sound like a STUPID question, but when you say aim at the box do you mean aim high on the box. Because if they are in the box wouldn't the heat be aimed at them?

I'm sorry. I'm feeling a tad bit out of it today and am just not picturing the difference. And I know as soon as you explain it I'll smack my forehead with a "Duh!"

b

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by