Bringing Back the Barter System

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DuckyBoys, Jun 8, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have noticed, as I am sure everyone else has as well, the Criag's List section for barter. Now I really like this idea but in our area the only things on there seem to be "trade big screen for motorcycle, x-box for playstation, or mechanic work for divorce representation."

Does anyone here have an "Active" barter section OR use barter in a significant fashion for everyday items (necessities) instead of luxury items?

Maybe if I offer up some "real" stuff (like eggs, or homeschool stuff, or veggies and fruit) I could change our section?

I think the barter system is on it's way back, IMHO and I'd realy like to hear from folks who use it often.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Not on craigslist,but i love freecycle.

3. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Does anyone here have an "Active" barter section OR use barter in a significant fashion for everyday items (necessities) instead of luxury items?

Maybe if I offer up some "real" stuff (like eggs, or homeschool stuff, or veggies and fruit) I could change our section?

I think the barter system is on it's way back, IMHO and I'd realy like to hear from folks who use it often."

First off a note of caution, the IRS has a few things to say about your idea.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html

2ndly, yes I do use it and in some big ways, normally it is as in exchange for machine hours, example, I have a 100 horse rated tractor and a friend of mine has a back hoe, we have exchanged machine hours before with these pieces of equiptment.

I have also helped in picking apples to make apple butter and apple sauce, in exchange I give some of the can goods to the owner of the trees.

4. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hey thanks! Gonna go check that out.

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I give a guy at work eggs, and he catches fresh salmon and gives it to me.

Is that the same thing, never thought about it but I guess it could be.

Ellie

6. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:What ages are you homeschooling. I have been for 3 years and will be enrolling in school for next year. Maybe I could help you out and get my shelves clean at the same time.

7. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I have a 6th grader only now, oldest graduated. I probably have more homeschool curriculum than the local homeschool store! I just piled up the last two years worth for sale on ebay and I have several more years worth hidden out in the garage somewhere I haven't even looked at yet - can't wait to get rid of it.

I have already purchased almost everything for next year - unless you have Rosetta Stone Japanese? I've been having trouble coming to terms with the cost and just can't get my finger to click buy now.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Hey thanks! Gonna go check that out.

I just put twp roos on there and they were gone within a hour and picked up the next morning. You can get all sorts of goodies.

9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I love the concept of barter. The only problem that I have found is that people always seem to think that their skills or stuff is more valuable than yours. Now my DH traded mechanic work for dental work and that was nice. But when we traded mechanic work for piano lessons the piano teacher thought her skills were worth far more than what they are. And I just saw an incubator for sale on CL and they paid 80 and wanted 60. They said it was used twice. If you thought it was worth buying for 80 to use why do you think you should get most of your money back. There should social guidelines about a used item is worth.

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I'm all about the barter. We do it when we can. As I said before on here, I'm going to try to barter with the new, locally owned coffee roaster/shop here, my eggs for their free trade sumatra. Why not?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by