Bringing chicks home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mycindysfarm, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mycindysfarm

mycindysfarm Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    New Jersey
    I want to get chicks this weekend. But we have to make other stops and the chicks will be in the car for a while. I can give them food and water each time we stop. But how can I keep them warm? 5 hours is way to long to keep them in the car right? My other option is to wait to another time. Thanks

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    well you can put hand warmers in with them. Nothing over 40 hours tho. The hand warmers which last over 40 hours spike to too high a temp for baby chicks before they settle back down to the temp they will hold till they expire. Also, by the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench at your Tractor Supply or feed store. When you pick up your chicks, give each one, only one drop by mouth. If the chick is needy, repeat every 8-10 hours until perky. This is an emergency nutritional supplement that doesn't need digesting. Great for combating travel stress. http://www.nutridrench.com Helps jumpstart the G.I. tract, combats pasty butt and the runs plus helps restore the immune system. Basically, it is gonna help combat any of these challenges your chicks may encounter because of the long ride. Lasts for years on a room temperature shelf.
    I have used Bovidr Labs Drench products on my collies and poultry for over a decade with great success.
    For baby chicks, I put 1/2 teaspoon of Drench in a quart waterer ( it looks like weak tea). for the 1st 2 weeks for the chicks. It gets them off to strong start and I don't need to worry about electrolytes or apple cider vinegar, etc. Just chick feed, Drench water and ( after they are one week old) chick grit. I have never had a sick or dead chick when raised on Drench water. You also don't need probiotics because the molasses in the Drench encourages the growth of proper bacterial flora in the G.I. tract.
    When a G.I. tract has the proper ratios of beneficial bacterial flora it is hard for harmful pathogens to get a foothold. This is a concept riveting the worldwide poultry industry now as they come to grips with the banning of antibiotics in raising poultry. The new emphasis is on creating a properly and efficiently working G.I. tract as soon as possible after hatch. The new emphasis is on feeding the chicks no later than 6 hours after hatch.

Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Personally, I would consider triage. The chicks are probably the most perishable goods you are going to pick up. They should be top priority to get them and get them home fast.
    Otherwise pick them up some other day when they would get home the quickly. If you are like us, one errand runs into another and another way on another part of town, and we get home tired, hungry and in a very bad mood. Chicks deserve undivided attention, to get them home alive & healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by