Bringing ducks in and out of cold. ???

3Ducks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
I have 3 muscovies i had since 5 days old. They always want to be around me and want to come in the house...my question is would they get sick if i brought them inside my home for
The night. Then let them back out side in morning? Michigan weather can be brutal at times..

No I doubt they will get sick but ducks are very well insulated. What appears cool or cold to us isn't nearly the same to the ducks.

I am going let them inside to spend more time with them in the winter. Instead of me being outside freeZing to death. Lol. Im goin to try the
Duck diaper thing. Only goin to use
Diapers when they
Come in towards evening, they basically. Hide in there coop by then anyway... :)

Ok, so they have a very natural down "blanket" to cover them for the winter time; if you bring them into a heated house, plus the warmth of a diaper, there is a possibility of them overheating.

If you then put them outside (and by your own statement your weather can be "brutal") you are exposing them to two extremes of climate. Don't know if it will make them "sick", but, I do think you should put the needs of your ducks above your own. They will not freeze outside; you can always put more warm clothing on
idunno.gif

What you suggest could play havoc with their moulting cycle; nature has already catered for their "warmth" requirements for the winter and their need for cool in the summer. That is what their moult is all about.

Hi I do understand what you are saying, but actually I am doing for the needs of my ducks and not my needs, when they are outside they just hang out at the corner of there pen, waiting for me to come out, and when they are on my porch they try to forced themselves into my house, they used to stay in my house as babies only at night time, they are actually happpier when they are around me and they like to fall asleep by my feet, they are really like pet dogs.... :) thank you for your post though :)

Your going to have 3 as house pets? I like my ducks really i do but cannot imagine having them in my house, they adore being outside.. bugs, mud.. water etc..

All my ducks live in a coop and are outside daily, they manage dealing with the cold(I'm in Canada so i know winter lol) I don't know what in/out would do especially if you add artificial heat to the mix, i would bet it would mess with their systems.

Oh no I do not want them in the house all the time that would be cruel... They free range a couple hours out of the day, they fly a bit if they want to.. Eat bugs. Go swimming. I am just talking about bringing them in towards the evening around 8 pm when it starts to get dark. Then when they do the time change it will be dark at 6. And when it gets dark like all ducks they go in the shed and dont come out until morning, so i dont think i would be taking anything away from them... ? When they were young they loved it in the house. They are 3 months old

I think my ducks are spoiled, I even put a talk station radio on in there shed on low with a night light....
wee.gif

I just don't think you need to and when your heat turns on? I think that would mess with their systems. If they have good shelter they will be fine and will certainly enjoy your company if you sit with them but they don't need a real house, kwim?

It's like my farm cat, he never comes inside, if he did he would have to continue too as his coat wouldn't build the way it needs to for the upcoming winter. Same with heated horse barns it messes with mother nature, the animals build up to the change of seasons, for instance my horses are wintering up already.

Back
Top Bottom