Bringing groups together.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by only one lay, Apr 14, 2009.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Six one year olds living in coop #1- happy,laying

New chicks (8weeks) grown and ready to move from garage to new coop #2 area.

#1( Based on the 4ft inside 10 ft out ) can handle up to about 11 birds.

#2 (4 to 10 rule again) can handle about 30 birds.

#1 will be for bantams and most likely my wifes polish.
    #2 for layers and interim growth of birds to be butchered.

Am I better off to move all the ones going into #2 in at the same time? or is another procedure better suited to meet the socialization of the groups coming together?

2. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep in mind I'm new to thi but I have just added new chicks to my coop and there has been no blood shed or feather plucking. I move the chicks in for a little bit each day for about 3-4 days leaving them in a small wire cage. Just enough for the big one to investigate but they can not get to the little ones.
    NEXT
    I have a piece or 2x4 welded wire in one corner nailed up, this allows the little guys to roam about the coop but run inside the internal pen if they are scared, being piked on or need to eat. Since the wire is 4 feet high I cut out one strip of vertical wires long enough to get out the feeder. This allows them to meet and eventually get to the large feeder and waterer but the have their own space. I have a couple that are almost to the point they can no longer fit through the welded wire so they spend more time in the bigger portion of the coop but if scared they can squeeze through.
    DISCLAIMER
    I'm not saying this will work but all of mine seem to enjoy it, I have 2 age groups and a third who is in the first stage of this process (different breeds).

3. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Has anyone done new coop for two groups without going through the look at each other through the fence thing?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by