Bringing him on 10 hour Trip

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by PaigeHgibson, May 18, 2011.

1. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I wanted to share my excitment !!!!!!!

Okay , so i used to live in CT lived their most of my life loved it then moved to VA 6 YEARS AGO because my dad got a new job

moving down after I graduate from college

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT

going down to Connecticut for 2 months to stay with my Nanna and Aunts
    I am bringing Sammie because He would be disraught if I left him and i don't feel comfortable leaving him too long because he plucks if i am gone to long
    I have in home sitters for everything else and have the animals outside being cared for by a neighbor who loves them i told him he could keep whatever eggs he collected and I havegiven him 5 RR pullets already laying

LIST OF SUPPLIES I AM BRINGING

*FOOD
    *MILLET
    *TRAVEL CAGE
    *1ST AID KIT
    *ALL HIS INFO , VET RECORDS, PURCHASE RECIEPTS

Me and sammie are going to have a great time
    hope we don't bring home anymore birds LOL

[​IMG]

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Please be very careful about traveling and living in some states with Quakers! They are illegal to own, or even transport, in some states. Even if you are just traveling through that state with your bird and don't plan on staying. If you are found to have one, they may legally seize and euthanize your pet. It's terrible!
    I know someone that this actually happened to. Some people get away with it, but the risk isn't worth it to me, because I love my pets dearly.

Here is a list of states where they are illegal:

http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Oh no!

Connecticut:
    Updated 2003 It appears that this state has made it illegal to own, breed, sell, transport Quaker Parrots in the state

4. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    seriously ??? That is ridiculous , well i guess i won't bring him now i am not risking that

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Quote:I guess it's because Quakers are one species that can thrive in cold climates here in the US and they are worried about them becoming an invasive species. Still, it seems really extreme and I agree the way they go about it is pretty stupid.

If your fella doesn't have a closed band on him just beware that it's technically illegal to have him in in VA-- just don't advertise his presence and you should be okay.

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I love traveling with my birds and I know you would have too. [​IMG] After the person I knew had her bird seized though I hated the thought of it happening to anyone else. It was very sad.

6. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    thats stupid [​IMG] i bought sammie from a petstore in Virginia and he wasn't banded and thy told me it would be okay that quakers were legal here
    I love traveling with my Too and quaker until now i have always traveled with them and found sitters for the conures and teils

7. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    found this on a website
    http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

[​IMG]
    Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Natural Resources Connecticut
    Updated 2003 It appears that this state has made it illegal to own, breed, sell, transport Quaker Parrots in the state.

that petshop lied
    Virginia Ownership, buying, selling, and breeding are all legal IF birds are close-banded
    It is illegal to transport into Virginia unless moving there and birds are close-banded

8. rampid

rampid New Egg

May 20, 2011
    This sounds completely ridiculous to me. I for one am a little fed up with the government constantly intruding, and micromanaging our lives. The law in general assumes that everyone is completely irresponsible, and cannot make good decisions for themselves. If it were me, I would take the bird anyway, in spite of the laws against it. In my opinion these laws are unjust, and not worthy of any recognition. I was wondering, has anyone ever tried bird tricks videos? What can you tell me about them?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, but the law is the law, and I know she would feel terrible if her pet was euthanized because of traveling in a prohibited state and being caught! TErri O

10. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I do find this law slightly ridiculous

I would be beside myself if Sammie was euthinized , and i am not going to take a chance anyone who knows me knows he is my baby , I am a extremely responsibe parrot owner but unfortunatley alot off people are not and after reading up on this law it is some what understandble . so i am going to make the good desician and not take him , because i don't want to be irresponsible and break the law for bringing him fully knowing the consequences and then having something happen to him . As much as i want to bring him sammie is staying with my Boyfriend who will shower him with affection Brandon is the only other human who can touch him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by