1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bringing home 2 new chickens this weekend, advice please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noymira, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I just bought a tractor and 2 chickens on craigslist and I'm moving them home on Saturday. I have a large dog crate to move the 2 chickens in, but it's about a 45 minute ride, I want to do this without stressing the hens too much.

Forgive my ignorance, since these are my first chickens, but should I cover part of the crate to make them more comfortable with the ride? It' got a solid bottom, but then just wire sides and top. Should I tape some cardboard around about half the top and sides to give them a cozy corner, or does it even matter? Will they be ok on just the solid bottom or do I need to add anything for them? They are a rhode island red and white rock.

This deal was too good to pass up, but I wasn't planning on full grown hens right now, so I'm feeling a bit unprepared and rushing to get what I need for these two ladies! [​IMG]

Thank you for any advice or tips!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mira, if they are going to be inside your vehicle, I'd think just a large towel or throw blanket would give them security and keep them calmer than if they were subjected to alarming new sights and noises. Sounds like they are nice birds. Congrats. I'm sure it will go well.

When your new chicks arrive at the end of April, it will be a long time before you can combine the flocks though. Do you have enough space?

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Thanks! They seemed friendly when I met them yesterday and they are coming home in the back of my SUV, so I want to start our relationship on the right foot! I've got an old wool blanket I keep in the back, I'll just use that.

We have the tractor that they come with, which just the two of them will live in until we finish our 10'x10' shed to coop conversion (with an attached 10'x18' run). Once that is done I think we will move the chicks out first to get them accustomed to the coop, then introduce the hens, or vice versa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by