Bringing home chicken with maggot infested abdomen wound, advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by otis7, Aug 2, 2013.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    My work has a fairly large flock of laying hens, and I have five. I often bring home sick or injured hens to take care of. I'm a vegan (boyfriend eats the eggs) and I could care less about productivity. I noticed a young hen pecking at this fairly old hens behind. My first thought was a prolapse, but what I found was much worse. She had a maggot infested wound under her vent. The smell was too much to bear, and I'm pretty tolerant. Rotting flesh. Her abdomen was swollen and fluidy, the under belly feathers were coated in black, maybe blood. Extreme swelling. Maggots were peaking out of holes in the wound. I cleaned with soap and water and left her for my boss, but I decided this evening to bring her home and try. It almost looked like something had been gnawing on her versus an attack. please help this girl. What antibiotics can I track down to give her that are human based? I have a gram scale if someone can help me calculate dosage. I want to help her, what a terrible way to go.

2. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    She is separated in a crate at work, I plan on picking her up around 6:30am tomorrow morning.

3. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by