Bringing in an adult female duck to my flock of 4 girls

Regina Larsen

Crowing
May 6, 2020
Long Island NY USDA zone 7
My 4 girls are a great little group (1 swedish blue, 3 runners) but as of yesterday my neighbors have lost 2 of their 3 ducks to coon or possum ... after their dad with advanced dementia opened the coop at about 2 am 😟 and left the door open
They asked if i can adopt their lonely girl -a pekin - and of course i said yes. I have chatted with their ducks through the fence and given them treats since they had them (2 years).
Is the best method slow 'look but no contact' intro, and are ducks easier to integrate than chickens?
I have 2 drakes but they live separately from the girls so not an issue. Bc .... big jerks.
My poor swedish girl is slower than the runners so a stumpy friend like her might be just right. The adopted pekin will be the largest duck as my blue is petite.
Open to advice!​

My 4 girls are a great little group (1 swedish blue, 3 runners) but as of yesterday my neighbors have lost 2 of their 3 ducks to coon or possum ... after their dad with advanced dementia opened the coop at about 2 am 😟 and left the door open
They asked if i can adopt their lonely girl -a pekin - and of course i said yes. I have chatted with their ducks through the fence and given them treats since they had them (2 years).
Is the best method slow 'look but no contact' intro, and are ducks easier to integrate than chickens?
I have 2 drakes but they live separately from the girls so not an issue. Bc .... big jerks.
My poor swedish girl is slower than the runners so a stumpy friend like her might be just right. The adopted pekin will be the largest duck as my blue is petite.
Open to advice!​
See but don't touch is always the best way to introduce, in my opinion. It's too bad you're only needing to introduce one, as a couple or a few are easier to integrate. Glad you're willing to take her. She'll be much happier with some ducky friends.

See but don't touch is always the best way to introduce, in my opinion. It's too bad you're only needing to introduce one, as a couple or a few are easier to integrate. Glad you're willing to take her. She'll be much happier with some ducky friends.
Thanks! 😇 Its sad she needs the home but im glad i can offer her space and my neighbors can still see her.

Yes, the slow intro is always the best practice. However, I had 2 runner ducks earlier this summer. I decided to let them out of the enclosure too soon. They ran into the corn field. One came back, the other didn't. The runners were my only quackers, I have muscovy and chickens. The one lonely runner was so sad, I was afraid she might not eat. So, the next day, I found some runners nearby. I added them to the run as soon as I got them home. I did not follow best practices, but they all became best buds. I did observe for a long while to make sure there was no bullying going on. I didn't quarantine and ran the risk of bringing something to my flock, but that didn't happen either.
I will just say, use your best judgement. It might take a slow intro and might not.

Yes, the slow intro is always the best practice. However, I had 2 runner ducks earlier this summer. I decided to let them out of the enclosure too soon. They ran into the corn field. One came back, the other didn't. The runners were my only quackers, I have muscovy and chickens. The one lonely runner was so sad, I was afraid she might not eat. So, the next day, I found some runners nearby. I added them to the run as soon as I got them home. I did not follow best practices, but they all became best buds. I did observe for a long while to make sure there was no bullying going on. I didn't quarantine and ran the risk of bringing something to my flock, but that didn't happen either.
I will just say, use your best judgement. It might take a slow intro and might not.
Ty for the input. 😇 Im not quarantining bc her home property is my back yard, essentially. Will put her on my side of the fence and see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom