bringing in chicks at night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GrayAcres, May 31, 2010.

1. GrayAcres

GrayAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Our 5 hens are 9 months old and we just finished their pen. (They have been living inside on our back porch.) I was confident about leaving them out all the time until I started reading the posts. Now I'm worried our pen won't stand against the racoons that live in the yard. My question is this: I am not opposed to bringing them in every night to the porch for safety. Will they learn to "follow" me in and out between the porch (their only home for 9 months) and the new pen (their new daytime abode)? Or will have I have to continue to carry them one by one?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So their pen does not have a housing area??? If their housing area is going to be your back porch, it's easy to train them to come running at the sound of a scratch cannister being shook. However, how will they lay their eggs during the day if they're shut in a pen? Are there nest boxes in the pen? Is the pen covered? I think I'm not seeing the whole picture here...[​IMG] Can you describe your situation better?

3. GrayAcres

GrayAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    We were planning to keep them outside all of the time but have since decided that the area is not "raccoon proof" enough. There is a house for nesting and shelter from the weather inside a large fenced area. Instead of building another coop for night time safety we are going to bring them back into the porch at night. Currently we carry them but somewhere I had read they could be trained to follow us. Shaking the canister will probably work well. They LOVE scratch and treats! Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by