1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bringing in new babies- food switch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I was thinking this morning, and I realized I am totally unprepared for this:

My 2 new EE chicks are 2 weeks old, but when they are around 6 weeks old and have their plumage they will go live in the big coop. But how do I keep them from eating the layer crumbles? Or can they eat layer crumbles at 6 weeks, even though they're not laying? And also, how do I keep the big chickens away from the chick feed?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    lots of different schools of thought on this. When I have young birds in with the older ones I switch everyone over to a regular feed and put a big bowl of Oyster shell out for the hens. I like Purina Flock Raiser or a starter grower of any brand. You might loose a little on the yolk color for your layers as these don't have the marigold in them.

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Thanks [​IMG] I'll feed the big ones layer crumbles by hand, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by