Bringing in new chickens to our flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by remadl700, Aug 2, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Is there a standard to follow when bringing in new chickens to our coop?

Like keep them separated for 2-3 days or wash and dust any new chickens.

2. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    The standard practice is to quarantine for 4 weeks before introducing them to the others. This prevent spread of disease.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You should quarantine them for at LEAST 3-4 weeks, check for lice/mites, dust them well even if you don't see any, deworm while they are in quarantine. Once quarantine is over, introduce them gradually. [​IMG]

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Quote:Exactly!
    Also be sure to keep feeding and watering equipment separate and to change your shoes between pens and to wash hands after handling. It sounds like a lot of work but a sick flock is easily prevented! [​IMG]

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Well, it will give you a good idea if they are incubating something that they are going to come down with, but any birds that you introduce could be carriers of something that they have already recovered from. Quarantine doesn't "prevent" disease, it just gives you a better chance of not losing all your existing flock to something that the new bird might have. [​IMG]

6. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Quote:Well, it will give you a good idea if they are incubating something that they are going to come down with, but any birds that you introduce could be carriers of something that they have already recovered from. Quarantine doesn't "prevent" disease, it just gives you a better chance of not losing all your existing flock to something that the new bird might have. [​IMG]

Thank you for making that sound better! Funny how things sound so much more complete in your head isn't it!

7. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon

Thank you for making that sound better! Funny how things sound so much more complete in your head isn't it!

THANK YOU!

We have built a small tractor so I think we will use it as a newbi facility.

you guys are GREAT![​IMG]

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

I know! LOL I am constantly going back and editing posts because I read it and think..."what?!?" ha ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by