bringing in new hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JamesA, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I have a small flock of blue laced red wyndottes (4 hens and 1 roo) and a few months ago I purchased 2 more hens.The flock of BLRW's are very close and never leave each other.I am trying to add the two new hens in but the roo and hens that I already had are being mean to the new hens.I put the new hens in the pen with my existing flock and the existing flock chases the new hens in the house and everytime they come out they run them right back in.I took the new hens out of the pen for now. What would be the best way to get them to exist together? Any help would be great! [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I think I heard to put them in at night when everyones roosting then they wake up together?

3. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I'd suggest the Sight But No Contact method. Try putting the two newbies in a pen while the chickens free range or while they are in the coop. Hardware wire works better then chicken wire because they can still peck through the chicken wire. This way they'll get used to each other and not have the ability to peck. Personally, I just let mine free range together after quarantine and they got along fine and eventually starting going to the real coop instead of the makeshift one outside![​IMG]

4. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Quote:I tried this and went down the next day and they were still running them back in the coop.Do you think I should try it again and not give up so easily and wait a few days or maybe even a week but keeping check that none of them are getting injured? I also though about taking the hens out that are from the origial flock and leave the roo in with just the new ladies for a few days then add the existing hens back in with them.I let them all free range together but the 5 go one way and the two new hens go the other and they never free range together. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by